What best of breed practices, technologies and solutions can make farming and agriculture more sustainable?

Over 60% of the world's population depends on agriculture for survival, says data from FAO. Well, so do the other 40% too, we reckon! Agriculture, not oil, provides the fundamental fuel (food) that powers humans. But the agriculture sector today faces significant sustainability challenges on aspects such as water scarcity, use of harmful chemicals, soil degradation, and more. What's also of concern is that current agricultural practices are a significant contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. For all these reasons, it is critical that the global farming sector adopts effective and innovative sustainability practices and solutions as early as possible. What indeed are these innovations and solutions?